Please Wait a Moment



The Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Program offers rental assistance to persons with very low-income who wish to live in homes in the private rental market, but cannot afford market rental rates. HCV participants pay 30% of their adjusted gross income for rent. The Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) subsidizes the balance of rent for the property owner. The Housing Authority of York  administer approximately 233 Vouchers within the Western part of York County.   With a Voucher, a family is able to select a home in the private rental market. If the family chooses to move, the assistance may be transferable. All housing must be inspected and approved by the Housing Agency and meet Housing Quality Standards. For more information about the Housing Authority's Housing Choice Voucher Program, please call (803) 684-6004.


(Please Click Here for Owner/Landlord Handbook)

(Please Click Here for Tenant/Family Handbook)

(Please Click Here for Fair Housing Document)

(Please Click Here for The Good Place to Live Document)



Q: What are the requirements for my unit to be rented to an assisted family?

A: The unit must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and the rent must be fall within Housing Authority payment standards and rent comparable.

Q: How do I make a unit available to voucher holders?

A: You may list your unit by calling 803-684-6004. You may also advertise in the newspaper with the phrase "will accept Section 8." Our families look for those listings.

Q: Who pays the rent?

A: The tenant pays 30% of his/her monthly income less utilities toward the rent. You collect the tenant's portion of the rent from the tenant. The Housing Authority pays the assistance (difference between the tenant rent and the contracted rent amount) directly to you.

Q: Can I collect a security deposit?

A: Yes, you may collect whatever you normally charge, up to a full month's rent. You cannot charge an assisted tenant more than you charge an unassisted tenant.

Q: What is the term of the lease and contract?

A: After one year, the term is open-ended as long as the tenant remains eligible and the unit is maintained to Housing Quality Standards. The tenant may vacate with 30-day notice after the first year; however, the landlord must have good cause to terminate the lease and evict the tenant.

Q: What do I do when a voucher holder is interested in my unit?

A: Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1: Landlord screens tenants - you must screen the prospective tenant carefully to insure you are making a good selection. When one of our families contacts you, we can only certify to you that they are income eligible for the program.
Step 2: Request for Tenancy Approval - When you have selected a tenant, he/she will have a "Request for Tenancy Approval" form for you to complete. When the tenant submits the form to our office,  an HCV Specialist will contact you to schedule an inspection.

Step 3: Inspection and rent - The unit will be inspected to insure that it meets HUD Housing and Quality Standards. Required repairs and rent amount will be discussed with you by the HCV Specialist.
Step 4: Lease and contract - After the unit passes inspection and the rent has been approved, the landlord and tenant enter into a lease. The Housing Authority and the landlord sign a Housing Assistance Payments Contract through which the rent is assisted on behalf of the tenant.

Step 5: Once the HAP Contract is executed (signed by both parties), the Housing Assistance Payment will be released.